Advertisement: Click here to learn how to Generate Art From Text
I am very happy to say that this 12 months I am very impressed with the A hundred and twenty fifth Annual Exhibition by The Pastel Society. I’ve additionally been listening to plenty of very optimistic feedback by those that have visited in latest days.
|The Pastel Society Exhibition on the afternoon of the Personal View
It’s extremely apparent to me that loads of effectively directed effort has gone into making this a a lot better exhibition to mark yet one more benchmark in its historical past. That is after all of the oldest pastel society on this planet which held its first exhibition in 1899!
- It had 1300 entries – of which 366 had been hung (28%)
- There have been glorious numbers on the Personal View yesterday
|Personal View: Speeches beginning within the night
– with Sarah Bee’s very vibrant paintings behind the speaker
- BOTH the content material and hanging of the exhibition is vastly higher than the one which I criticised final 12 months.
- It is far more vibrant this 12 months and appears all the higher for it
- every of the partitions is effectively anchored by sturdy work – with the obvious being the top wall of the West Gallery the place Sarah Bee‘s artworks completely sing out throughout the complete gallery
- paintings is grouped to excellent impact – eg a wall of landscapes
|A Wall of Landscapes by totally different Pastel Society members
- There’s a terrific range of paintings on present – from abstracted to hyper-realistic
|Abstracted landscapes by Malcolm Taylor on the left
Hyperealistic nonetheless life by Ian Rawlings within the centre of the wall
- The PS Annual Exhibition can be again in its “close to the start of the 12 months” slot which I have a tendency to consider as being a really a lot better time for artwork exhibitions and gross sales – as there’s completely no competitors from summer time climate and out of doors pursuits and holidays!
- Nevertheless “final 12 months” was solely in Might – simply 8 months in the past
- so the Society has additionally executed very effectively to placed on a second annual exhibition on this quick timescale.
- The pricing on the wall appears as if most have had a rethink in regards to the vary of costs that assist promote gross sales within the present local weather – though not all artworks did. I have been hoping to see some proof that artists had been turning into extra smart and this exhibition appeared to me to be the primary one the place pricing has modified. I nonetheless suppose the beginning value needs to be £300. There’s nonetheless loads of scope for gross sales on the backside finish of the vary.
Basically when you’ve got a surfeit of 1 specific form of artwork, the competion for hwo will get to hold turns into that rather more intenses. Which, to my thoughts why the monochromatic work is so sturdy on this exhibition.
When grouped collectively – as many of the monochrome paintings is – within the North Gallery, it appears far more imposing and it is simpler to see the form of variations in approach achieved in several media – in addition to views on what kind of topics go well with monochromatic approaches. I am at all times of a thoughts to suppose that the latter is performs a significant position in creating a profitable mono paintings.
That is an primarily exhibition for all those that love their graphite pencil or charcoal.
|North Gallery (center room) has largely monochromatic paintings – in a wide range of sizes
I’ve highlighted paintings I favored in my photographs of the exhibition which I’ve revealed on Fb.
The way to see the Exhibition
You possibly can see the exhibition in individual
- on the Mall Galleries
- from twenty fourth January to tenth February 2024 (however it’s closed subsequent week on Tuesday sixth February)
Or you’ll be able to see it on-line at
- You possibly can learn the Catalogue for this exhibition on Issuu in addition to get a duplicate on the entrance desk. This offers:
- examples of the paintings – one from every member
- itemizing of all of the artworks exhibited with title of the artist, title of the paintings, media and value
- details about the prizes
- common foreword to the exhibition / commentary by the President – wherein Richard Rees tackles 5 myths about pastels and encourages younger artists
- articles about previous members – notably a previous President Tom Coates
- you’ll be able to see it on the Mall Galleries new web site – which is lacking any choice to group collectively ALL the artworks in a selected exhibition by one particular person particular artist. A really MAJOR omission in my view.
- I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go to the Pastel Society web site if you wish to see all of the paintings by an artist grouped collectively in A to Z order by artist’s surname (none of that laziness which growing orders individuals by their first title!).
- for instance, those that can ONLY view on-line can see the six actually glorious artworks by Michele Ashby PS
- plus should you can go to the exhibition it’s also possible to see all of them hung along with all of the affect that gives – see the photograph BELOW
- and it’s also possible to see nice photographs of those on her web site the place they’re organized vertically. It is fairly a lesson in how finest to show paintings!
|Six nonetheless life artworks by Michele Ashby PS
|5 artworks by Michele Ashby PS – hung in a line on the Mezzanine wall.
- Ordering the paintings by artist on this manner offers you an excellent thought about
- what number of non-members had paintings chosen and
- what number of every such artist had chosen. It is usually one paintings – except you are impressing the members the place they might select two or three.
- what’s additionally glorious in regards to the Pastel Society web site is that it additionally consists of paintings from previous exhibitions. That is VERY useful for all these desirous to submit paintings to a future exhibition. Certainly I would go as far as to say, the Pastel Society is doing very effectively when it comes to entries from youthful artists who get pleasure from dry media.
2024 Pastel Society Sealed Bids
You by no means know you could get a cut price!
Occasions and Demonstrations
The Exhibition additionally has loads of occasions and demonstrations occurring between now and the top of the exhibition.
- You’ll find out extra about these on the Occasions Programme on the Mall Galleries web site
- Tomorrow (31stt January) is the themed Artwork Occasion night from 6pm to eight:30pm This brings collectively two fashions for a themed drawing and portray session with Pastel Society members, together with Roger Dellar, Jenny Halstead, Richard Rees and Simon Hodges.
|All of the exhibition occasions are within the East Gallery “Studio” except in any other case acknowledged
Prizes and prizewinners
The prizegiving was held within the night this 12 months and I had left earlier than it began so I do not know who’s received what. The standard information merchandise by the Mall Galleries employees has additionally not appeared on the brand new web site. (Possibly any individual forgot?)
There are two new prizes this 12 months. These are:
THE TOM COATES MEMORIAL PRIZE of £2,000
- in reminiscence of a former Pastel Society President (who died final 12 months)
- for one of the best non-member work within the exhibition.
- to be chosen and introduced by Tom’s spouse, the artist Mary Jackson NEAC RWS.
THE PRESIDENTS PRIZE of £500
- for one of the best work by an artist underneath 35.
|The Pastel Society President’s Prize 2024
Crystal Again Alley by Thomas Gale
These prizes are along with all of the common prizes now we have yearly from our many beneficiant sponsors
I ran into Curtis who was arriving as I used to be about to depart and we had a fast chat and exchanged photographs in entrance of his paintings!
along with his two drawings of two colored pencil drawings
“The Costume Prop Maker” and “The Puppet Maker” within the East Gallery
What was good to see was the variety in types of these placing themselves ahead for membership. Selecting new members who do NOT use pastel like current members makes for an more and more attention-grabbing exhibitions of pastel artwork!
I notably favored the colorful landscapes produced by candidate Jayne Perkins. It appears from her web site that she discovered pastels after oil and watercolour and it is attention-grabbing how that influences how she constructs her landscapes.
|Landscapes by Jayne Perkins
The Society accepts all forms of pastel, chalk or crayon together with smooth pastels, exhausting pastels, oil pastels, ink pastels, water-based pastels, conté crayons or sticks, sanguine, and comparable dry mediums together with charcoal and pencil. Blended media works are welcome the place pastel or one other dry media is the first medium
You possibly can evaluate earlier posts about Pastel Society exhibitions – from my archives BELOW. As you’ll be able to see I’ve reviewed this exhibition yearly since 2006!
‘ Credit score:
Authentic content material by makingamark.blogspot.com – “The Pastel Society A hundred and twenty fifth Annual Exhibition (2024)”
Learn the total article at https://makingamark.blogspot.com/2024/01/eview-pastel-society-A hundred and twenty fifth-annual-exhibition.html